1/07/08 Concord Township, OH Woman steals running Tri – State Ambulance from TriPoint Medical Center. After 90 MPH Chase on Rt 90 – She says she needed a ride. Captured.
Woman steals ambulance because she didn’t have a ride
CONCORD TOWNSHIP, Ohio – It’s something you’d expect to see on an episode of COPS. A woman was arrested after police had to chase her down on Interstate 90 in a stolen ambulance.
The Lake County Sheriff’s office says 40-year-old- Jenette Askew was a patient at TriPoint Medical Center on January 4 before being discharged around 4 p.m. But she didn’t have a ride home and wasn’t willing to wait for one.
“She couldn’t get a ride with anybody else. She tried the handle on the door,” said Sheriff Daniel Dunlap. “[She] found out that it was unlocked and running with the keys in the ignition.”
Askew chose to get into a nearby Tri-County ambulance that was running outside.
The ambulance operators called police and used an internal GPS system to track its location. They saw it was on I-90 headed westbound. Dispatchers radioed ahead to Willoughby Hills Police Department who caught up to Askew who, at times, was traveling at more than 80 miles per hour.
With a patrol car behind her, Askew pulled over and was taken into custody without incident.
Dunlap says Askew cited anxiety issues stating that driving sometimes helps to calm her down. But driving on the highway at 80 m.p.h. in an ambulance probably isn’t the best solution.
“She’s put other people at risk. She put herself at risk,” said Dunlap.
“Another ambulance went by as they were bringing her back,” he said. “And she kind of laughed and said, ‘I wonder if somebody else has taken another ambulance.’”
Stealing the ambulance was an easy option. The Tri-County Ambulance employees responsible for the vehicle told police they left it running because they wanted to keep it warm for a patient they were preparing to transport to Cleveland Clinic.
Dunlap says doing something like that may have been alright years ago, but not now.
“You can’t do that anymore. You can’t leave it running without it locked,” he cautioned. “And there are ways to do that if you have an extra key.”
Askew was charged with Theft and Disrupting a Public Service. She appeared in Painesville Municipal Court on January 7 where she entered a not guilty plea. She’s being held on a $10,000 bond. She is also allowed to be released on a personal recognizance bond if her mother is willing to sign-off. But so far, her mother has not exercised that option.
- 05/20/19 Nashville, TN – Man Steals Nashville FD Ambulance From Hospital – Man Was Leaning On The Air Horn All Over Mid Town – Suspect Captured Parked Leaning On Air Horn
- 05/17/19 Wellsboro, NY – Under The Influence Man Steals ALS SUV From Soldiers And Sailors Memorial Hospital – Crashes Through School Fence – Burglarized 4 Buildings – Arrested
- 05/15/19 Victorville, CA – An AMR Ambulance Was Stolen From Bear Valley Urgent Care – A Short Failure To Yield By Deputies – Vehicle Stopped – Man Arrested
- 05/13/19 Fayetteville, GA – 19 Year Old Female Observed Stealing A Fayette County Ambulance From The Piedmont Fayette Hospital – Lookout Broadcast Found It Traveling In Atlanta – Captured
- 05/11/19 Yonkers, NY – Man Steals Empris Ambulance From St. John’s Hospital ER – Chase By Police – Jumps Out Of Ambulance – Rolls Down Riverside Ave. – Crashes Into Pole
- 05/6/19 Attleboro, MA – Brewster Ambulance Stolen When Parked And Locked – Police Investigating Unknown Thief – Ambulance Found Abandoned
- 05/5/19 Natchitoches, LA – Man Steals Natchitoches Regional Medical Center Ambulance From The Hospital – Ambulance Crashed Into Concrete Barrier – Man Caught – Says He Needed A Ride Home
- 04/29/19 Tulpehocken Township, PA- Adult Addiction Recovery Center- Women Gets in Running Ambulance- Tries to Steal it- Tried to put it in Gear- Medic Fights with Her- Stopped her and Fought For the Keys- Arrested
- 04/28/19 Myrtle Beach, SC- Mental Health Patient Steals Ambulance from Hospital Bay- Two People and a Medic in Back of Ambulance- Property Damage to Hospital and Ambulance
- 04/27/19 London Ontario, CAN- Man Steals Ambulance from Hospital- Police Located and Pursued Ambulance- Arrest Made for Stolen Ambulance and Possession of Drugs